They are not who they claim to be. They are not who you think they are. They are not who they think they are. I’m speaking about the recent attention given to trangenderism. Bruce Jenner is the latest in a string of notable celebrities over the past several years to go down this rebellious road. He has been preceded by Chaz Bono, Laverne Cox and countless other unknown faces. Bruce Jenner however, has been proclaimed as being brave, courageous, and even heroic. The celebration of shameful behavior is simply a sign of the times we live in. Mr. Jenner’s actions are just the latest blemish on a society that is quickly going the way of Isa.5:20, which says, Woe to them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter.
Make no mistake about it, scripture is not silent on this aberrant behavior, which takes the gay ‘lifestyle’ a deviant step further. Several points need to be made about transgenderism, and its relative, homosexuality:
- It is a violation of scripture- Scripture makes it crystal clear in no uncertain terms that this behavior is unrighteous and violates the Word of God. Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind…(1 Cor.6:9). Those last two phrases run the gamut of all deviant sexual behavior.
- It is a deviation from what is right and normal- We see the truth of this statement when we look at Romans 1:26-27: For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And also likewise the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
- It is degradation of oneself- Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves…(Ro.1:24). The word ‘dishonor’ here is from a word that can be translated ‘disgrace’ or ‘degrade’.
- It is a mutilation of the body- In my day it was called, getting ‘the operation’. Nowadays it’s called ‘gender reassignment’. Whatever anyone wants to call it, it is tampering with God’s creation. Male and female created He them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. (Gen.5:2). In an interview, Laverne Cox stated that rather than being born a boy, she was ‘assigned’ male at birth, but always felt like he was a girl. Saying you are ‘assigned’, is a convenient attempt to take God out of the equation.
- It is an abomination to God- This is perhaps the most striking evidence against this perversion. Take a look at Leviticus 18:22; Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. An abomination in the biblical context is something that God finds loathsome or detestable. In a nutshell, He hates it.
With that all being said, there is a bright side. We must remember that where sin abounds, grace does much more abound (Ro.5:20).You’ve probably heard it said, ‘Where there’s life, there’s hope’. I prefer to say that while there is a heartbeat, there is hope. You see, when the truth of the gospel is preached under the anointing of the Holy Ghost, we should always hold out hope that He will convict individuals of sin, because that’s what the Holy Ghost does. And when He is come, (speaking of the Holy Ghost) He will reprove (convict) the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment…(John.16:9). Jesus came to preach the gospel to the poor, heal the brokenhearted, preach deliverance to the captives, give sight to the blind, and set free the oppressed (Luke 4:18). He was resolute in His mission, and would not be sidetracked from it. I believe His mission should be our mission. With that in mind, we should continue to preach the Word in its simplicity and power, and not become distracted from it. Keep believing the truth, keep preaching the truth. I should never believe that someone is a lost cause, or that they’ve gone to far. The love, grace, and mercy of the Lord is able to bring them in. Remember, while there is a heartbeat, there is hope-in Jesus name!
That’s the Word! Take it with you. God bless you.